Rochester, NY – 8 March 2017 –The Liberty Northeast Region of DBIA hosted its Elective Course “Developing an Acquisition Strategy in Design Build” at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). As a 2013 DBIA award-winner for their D-B sustainability building, RIT was a natural choice for the event. The course had 24 attendees comprised of owners, architects, designers, and contractors from across the region, providing a diverse group of individuals within the Design and Construction Industry. The course was conducted by Mr. Craig Unger.
An Owner’s choice of Project Delivery system and procurement approach strongly influence project results. When choosing design-build, and Owner must implement a procurement/acquisition plan that enhances collaboration and the other benefits of design-build. While the primary focus of the course was more towards Owners, the daylong session was beneficial for all attendees, in understanding the process in utilizing a Design Build procurement.
Highlights of the course were:
- Design Build is a Mindset as much as it is a delivery method
- Development of the RFQ: What a possible D-B Team needs to Know
- Development of the RFP: Defining the Performance Requirements
- Source Selection: Picking the Best Proposal or Picking the Best Team & What Qualifies
- Best Lessons Learned: Transparency through the Process & Utilizing Incentives